FULL MEAL DEAL
What is a Full Meal Deal?
A Full Meal Deal is special treatment for lawns in need of more than just maintenance, but repair. It includes Thatching, Aerating, Overseeding with extra seed and Starter Fertilizer (Organic by request for $20).
- Removes undesirable old grass and moss so new stronger see can be planted.
- With thatch removed, air, water, nutrients, herbicides and pesticides can do their job more efficiently.
- Turf becomes healthier and more resistant to insect damage and disease.
- Promotes deep vigorous root growth.
- Provides Individual germinating chambers for new seedlings.
- Improves air to the roots and promotes deeper root growth
- Breaks up hard clay soil
- Saves on your watering bill
- Stimulates beneficial microorganisms
- Helps the seed germinate and become established
- Creates a lush, thick, healthy lawn
- Spring is a great time for overseeding.
- I use only the highest-quality Golf Course Fairway Grass Seed.
- Overseeding pays off with a thicker, more vibrant and healthy lawn.
- Excellent choice for rapid establishment, disease resistance and traffic tolerance.
- We use a special 60% slow release Starter.
- Nourishes and protects your new seedlings and provides excellent lawn color throughout the season.
- Promotes deep root growth with good color, while limiting turf growth.
- Will not stain cement as most fertilizers do.
- No herbicides, insecticides, or fungicides so it is not harmful to animals.
- Will give your lawn good color without making it grow too fast.
Benefits of a Full Meal Deal
A Lawn Tune-up is recommended for maintenance, whereas the Full Meal Deal is recommended for repair and renovation. By thatching before aerating a lawn, it removes the moss and dead grass making room for newer stronger seedlings.
- Aerate seed and fertilize twice a year. Aeration helps to stimulate microbes that digest thatch the newer grass seed produces less thatch when mature.
- Use low nitrogen fertilizers with slow release technology.
- Apply an organic fertilizer twice a year for healthy soil; healthy soil will digest excess thatch.
- Rather than watering lightly often, deep and infrequent watering will encourage strong root growth while discouraging thatch development.
When buying seed for your lawn, buy from a reputable and knowledgeable representative. Don’t just buy any brand. Seed distributors have to supply the big box stores where they market their lower quality seed. This is why I purchase my seed by the ton, from a seed broker I have known for over 10 years. My seed cannot be purchased at nurseries or box stores. I use only seed that local golf courses use on their fairways. A fairway grass is a Class C turf which most closely resembles your home lawn. A putting green is an example of a Class A turf. For home lawns I prefer to use a 70/30 seeding mix.
Fescue grass also requires more water longer than perennial rye grass in order to become established. You need to water a little longer than you think so the secondary grasses can become established. Also note that you don’t want to let the perennial rye grass grow above 5 inches tall before first cut or it will shade out your fescues.
- the color of the grass at maturity
- the fineness of the blade and uniformity
- how the grass will be maintained, such as cutting and fertilization
- disease and susceptibility to pests
- the hydro mulch to be used
- seed quality and fertilizer
- if the soil to be hydroseeded is on a slope, then is a tackifying agent needed to prevent soil from washing away?
- do they have experience working on residential lawns?
- what do they recommend for weed control?
- The US is the second largest producer and consumer of fertilizer in the world after China, in both categories.
- The fertilizer manufacturing industry employs 33,000 jobs in the United States.
- Despite the Pacific Northwest’s rainy reputation, the average annual rainfall is just below 40 inches, which is even less than New York City!